« Home | Wheat Board Fires Back at Tories » | Federal Cabinet Places GAG ORDER on Canadian Wheat... » | 655,000 Iraqi Civilians DEAD since conflict began » | Will the REAL Conservatives Please Stand Up » | Tory Farmers At Odds With Harper over Wheat Board » | Calgary Evicts Squatters From Tent City » | History and Origin of Canadian Thanksgiving » | Big Global Reaction to North Korean Nuclear Test » | Harper Calls Suggestion of Afghani Ceasefire 'Desp... » | Kim Jong Il's 9th Anniversary To Be Celebrated Wi... » 

Thursday, October 12, 2006 

Fraser Institute Criticised for Biased Report

The Fraser Institute is being criticised for demonstrating its hard right wing bias once again.

This time the right wing think tank's political bias is aimed at the public auto insurance sector. Three Canadian provinces, B.C., Manitoba and Saskatchewan all have publically owned car insurance plans with some of the lowest demonstrated rates in the nation.

Using criteria that slants towards the private industry, the Fraser Institute is being widely criticised for its flawed research methodology.

This comes as no surprise to those who monitor the organization. Individuals such as former Reform Party Leader, Preston Manning are employed by the Fraser institute.

The Fraser Institute is dedicated to attacking publically funded health care, education and insurance.

In an article published in the Winnipeg Free Press, in 2004, Frances Russel wrote, "Earlier this month, the institute held its 30th anniversary dinner attended by luminaries of the Canadian Right like Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, Alberta Premier Ralph Klein, former Reform Leader Preston Manning and former Ontario Premier Mike Harris. Founder and president Michael Walker mapped out an ambitious plan for the future. Having won the battles against universality, deficits and debt, Mr. Walker said the institute will be turning its sights on privatising health and education. With millions of dollars in its coffers donated annually by the Who's Who of business, get ready for more Fraser, more of the time" (Wpg Free Press - 29/10/04)

Regina Leader Post
CKNW News

Hopefully this PhD candidate is not basing his dissertation on this study because academics don't like biased research that ascrews the data to mislead.

What is particularly frustrating about the Fraser Institute is that we all have to support the damn thing. It's funded by corporations and, of course, everything they fund we pay for when we hand over our hard-earned dollars to purchase their products. So, buy a bag of oranges or a pair of socks or some gas for your car, and a few pennies go to the Fraser Institute and all the other corporations' pet projects. Infuriating, but I guess that's life under capitalism.

"This comes as no surprise to those who monitor the organization. Individuals such as former Reform Party Leader, Preston Manning are employed by the Fraser institute."

That's a cheap shot Buck. Preston is a lot of things, but I'd draw the line at blatantly dishonest. He's right wing, but full of integrity, in my opinion. Do you have any reason to suggest the contrary? (Other than, ofcourse, his association with the Fraser institute... that doesn't count).

By the way, is the Centre for Policy Alternatives terribly objective? I don't see you going after them (although I criticise them constantly, and I dont' go after the Fraser institute - I'm a hypocrit, sue me. But you're better than that.)

Matriarchist: "So, buy a bag of oranges or a pair of socks or some gas for your car, and a few pennies go to the Fraser Institute and all the other corporations' pet projects. Infuriating..."

This is what I find interesting about the anti-corporation crowd. If you're so oppressed by big corporations, I have a solution: eat a delicious Okanogan apple from a small, organic grower; darn your own socks or buy them from a small operator (and yes, pay much more for them); and take the bus or ride your bike.

I just find it frustrating when those who are infuriated by the entire capitalist system who conclude,'oh well, nothing I can do about it', which I think is code for, I don't believe in my principles enough to inconvenience myself. But it won't stop me from griping!

Also, Furgaia: "We DO NOT have to take it and like it!"

Now THAT'S the passion the left needs! Is that a call to revolution? Cause I'm in!

Olaf! I don't recall calling Preston Manning 'dishonest'! I called the Fraser institute 'biased' (which they are) and I believe that I could also call the whole group of their high profile supporters 'not exactly forthcoming' on their true political agenda!

But nowhere did I use the word 'dishonest' anywhere in my post. Now the word may well apply. With Mr. Harper as the Prime Minister with the votes of 38% of Canadians, HE BETTER NOT START DOING THINGS THAT HE HAS NO MANDATE TO DO!

As for the Fraser Institute overall, well, are they dishonest? I stick by what I actually said and will not wear words I didn't say.

Do I like them? No I do not. They are about as evil an entity that the global right wing conspiracy has.

Olaf! I don't recall calling Preston Manning 'dishonest'!...I stick by what I actually said and will not wear words I didn't say.

You're right, you didn't, and I stand corrected. I jumped a bit too far, and heard what I wanted to hear. In fact, you didn't even say that it's biased yourself, you just said other people are saying it. So I was way off! haha

Way to put me in my place! I wish people would do that more often.

No need - no need. You are a good guy. I'd buy you a beer - (after all you DO cheer for my 2nd favourite NHL team)!

Actually, we fund the Fraser much more directly and coercively because they are considered a "charity"(go figure) While one has choice in the marketplace, one doesn't have a choice when they have to pay more tax to make up the difference when Fraser supporters can write off their contributions.
And what would you call them if not dishonest. This study is by no means an anomaly. This is par for the course, this is what they do, twist and pervert facts and figures to conform to their odious ideological end game.One is known by the company one keeps. If Manning wants to associate with these clowns, he is not deserving of an ounce of respect, nor are those who push the Fraser studies as credible, such as small dead kate.

You get total agreement from me on that!

Post a Comment



Follow leftdog on Twitter




About Me

Archives

BANNED FOR ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR

  • -Carmichael-
  • Things I Read

    • -Canadian Political Viewpoints-
    • -ZAG-
    • -Next Year Country-
    • -Huffington Post: Canada-
    • -LEFTIST JAB-
    • -Let Freedom Rain-
    • -Informed On Information-
    • -Wellington Post-NDP-
    • -Trapped In A Whirlpool-
    • -Larry Hubich's Blog-
    • -ROGERISM-
    • -Leftdog's Daily KOS Blog Page-
    • -RIDER PROPHET-
    • -Dipper Chick
    • -Ideagist -
    • -Al Barger's MORETHINGS.COM-
    • -Canadian Cynic-
    • Saskatchewan Progressive Bloggers
    • *NEW DEMOCRATIC PARTY*
    • My Zimbio
      Top Stories
    • Blogarama - The Blog Directory
    • Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites
      View blog authority
    • Display Pagerank
    • Canada's NDP
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates